2.20.2007

On the Fish Light

So there is this commercial on TV pretty frequently. It's for the WIC program, but I don't know if it is being shown on a national, regional, or state basis, so maybe no one else has seen it.

The idea behind it is that your car has idiot lights in it, and they go off when your car needs something -- battery dies, idiot light shines, wiper fluid empty, idiot light shines, etc.

WIC provides funding for food for children, so they show babies, and they light up lights on their forehead to indicate what the kid is low on -- milk, bread, etc. Pretty good analogy, I guess, and everyone agrees that babies are cute, so this seems like a good, effective ad campaign.

One problem, though -- I'm guessing whoever made the ad didn't have much of a palette of icons to work with. The one baby's milk light goes off, another baby has his banana light go off, both things that babies actually do eat. Well, one baby has his fish light go off.

Now, I'm not a dad, but I know enough babies to have a pretty good idea of what they eat. I haven't seen a single one eating a jar of pureed salmon or strained cod.

I guess this isn't the most insightful observation I've ever made, but c'mon, a fish light?

3 Comments:

Blogger Steinn said...

Fish!
Critical for brain development, and for those of us of a certain ethnicity, cod mashed with butter and potatoes is "baby's first food"!

Sardines, not so good - too many little bones that can't be picked out. Nowadays tuna is probably not a good idea either.

But cod, haddock, halibut and salmon all make good early baby food when mashed or moussed.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You know, this did actually occur to me and I did think of saying something like "Steinn might disagree". Have you seen fish in any baby food in US supermarkets though?

10:53 PM  
Blogger Steinn said...

My kids had the exceptionally good taste to refuse all baby food from the outset.
So I can't really say I looked...
But then I don't see bottleloads of cod liver oil in the baby shelfs either.
Honestly, I sometimes wonder how kids in the US manage to grow up at all missing all these essentials.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home