2.09.2007

On Meech

So, the big news is that Meech is gay.

Meech is a friend of a friend -- I only talked with him once or twice when we were undergrads, but he is pretty close friends with my friend Nate. So, over the years I heard about how things were going for him with the Cavs, Magic, and Jazz via Nate.

I was pretty happy for him when he was on the Magic -- he was playing well, getting good press, and he turned it into a spot on the Jazz. I think I remember hearing somewhere (maybe from Nate, maybe in the papers) that Shaq was actually trying to recruit him to come to the Lakers. Instead, he wound up on the Jazz, where I remember trying to follow how he was doing and seeing him get "DNP - coach's decision" almost every night. It was pretty clear he and Sloan didn't get along, and so he got paid very well to sit on the bench.

Now that he's all over the news again, this guy has decided to tear into him. He makes a big deal out of proclaiming that this isn't about Meech coming out, and I'm sure that's true. However, it is about the writer being an ass. There's no reason to write a "worst player ever" article. I'd nominate Luhm for worst journalist ever, but he's got *lots* of competition.

Here's my answer to Luhm. He apparently worships Sloan and thinks Meech was a bad investment on the part of the Jazz. Well, my question is, shouldn't a great coach be able to take a guy scoring 10.5 points and getting 3.3 rebounds a game in 20 minutes per game and turn him into someone who can get you say 15 and 6 or 20 and 10 in more minutes? I would think so, but instead, His Majesty Sloan coached Meech into a 3 and 2 guy in 10 minutes per game. I wonder why he didn't score more when you gave him 10 minutes a game on those nights you let him play at all?

Anyway, Luhm is an idiot. 'Nuff said about him.

Back to Meech. Good for you -- as a friend of a friend, I'm happy for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home