5.21.2008

On my favorite Dixie Chick

I was happy to see Bush get called out for what was just the latest in a long, long line of outrageous actions -- comparing Democrats to Nazi appeasers.

One thing that no one mentioned, though, was the first thought that occurred to me:

Natalie Maines said in Europe that she was embarrassed by our president. She was vilified and even received death threats. The howling outrage from the usual suspects could probably have been predicted, but I was amazed how many people and what a variety of people felt necessary to pile on Natalie. Does anyone think what she said was so wrong anymore? If anything, I think 99% of people would be willing to shout from the rooftops that Dubya is an embarrassment.

Anyway, someone explain to me how what Maines said was even remotely as awful as what Bush said. Like I said, I'm glad for the outrage (especially Olbermann's -- he's singlehandedly doing what Air America failed to do), but how come it's not as widespread and deeply felt as that a random Dixie Chick provoked? I'm hoping it's because we're all desensitized to what Worst.President.Ever has to say and not because people think calling Obama an appeaser in Israel isn't as bad as saying Bush embarrasses you while touring Europe.

Just another aside on Olbermann -- it takes some serious nerve to go on TV and tell the sitting president to "Shut the hell up". I wonder if his audit has started yet, or if they're looking deeper for skeletons in his closet. I'm guessing he's now on the TSA's "terrorist" list, has his phone tapped, and Rove is working on some "witnesses" to accuse him of bribery. I hope he's got some friends to help him out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

The reason there's less outrage than over Maines' comment is that Bush was a sitting President; Obama is not.

I personally think they're both twerps (Bush and Maines). But I never got the huge reaction to the Dixie Twits myself.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home