5.30.2007

On kids today

A student recently told me that in my class, he has figured out that my homework assignments require students to consider the readings and apply what they have learned. I resisted the urge to write back and say, "Well, Duh."

However, he tells me that he is having trouble because all of his other classes simply require him to regurgitate the readings. He must not be used to this newfangled teaching I employ.

My question is, am I right that this can't be true, or do the vast majority of college classes today simply ask students to fill in the blanks with bold faced words from the textbook?

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat D. said...

I think you are right on the money with this one. I see enough assignments where the effort is just `not there'. Truth be told, shortly (perhaps a month or two) after I started teaching here, I got my very first `complaint to the department chair' phone call, and the upshot of the (apparently long-winded) complaint was that I was making him/her `think critically'. So much for doing my *job*!
Similarly, I have had students question that my final exam is cumulative (horrors!). `Well, I do not have cumulative final exams in my other courses'. Next time I get that, I am going to ask what courses these students have been taking.
Dr. D

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home