4.27.2007

On football optimism and pessimism



(Image snipped from the Centre Daily Times website)


I participated last Saturday in what was one of the most positive experiences I've ever had at Penn State. At this year's "blue white game" (PSU football's intrasquad scrimmage), students got the word out that everyone should wear maroon and orange to show support for the Hokies. Stores that sell PSU gear got in the act selling maroon shirts with orange "Penn State" letters, with the proceeds going to a VT memorial fund. A local and Penn State alum was one of the victims at Virginia Tech, and those of us older than most of the current crop of undergrads remember when there was a shooting on our campus, and only a heroic action kept it from being worse. The tribute was amazing. We had the biggest crowd in the history of the Spring game -- about 71k, and a big crowd was wearing maroon and orange, the band played "Amazing Grace" following an extended moment of silence, and it really felt special to be a part of such a sincere tribute to the victims.

The game had its moments, and I feel optimistic about an improved season over last year's top 20 finish.

Today, though, the other shoe dropped. Weeks ago, a story broke that supposedly a number of football players had gotten into an argument, broke into an apartment party, and a melee broke out leaving a couple of guys in the party hurt and needing medical care. The details are sketchy, it is early, they are innocent until proven guilty, etc. etc. etc. However, I'm tired of this. If it is not obvious, I love Penn State football. I just spent $761 on my football tickets and parking pass. That is on top of the $150 I spent (which will be upped to $200 next year) just for the *privilege* of paying for football tickets. I go to games and do everything I can to support my team, be a good fan, and show respect for the opponents (even the Buckeyes). I take pride in our well earned reputation for fielding good teams filled with student-athletes who are also respectful of their opponents. Guys like Poz have been the rule rather than the exception. That's why this kind of thing gets to me so much. I hope that all six players are suspended, and if they are found guilty even of lesser charges, they should not play a down. I don't care if we don't win a game all season without them (which I don't think will happen), they deserve to suffer the consequences for their actions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home