3.19.2007

On Pizza

I'm from New Jersey. My whole family is of italian descent. A lot of families in the neighborhood I grew up in are of italian descent. I grew up eating the "gravy" (aka marinara sauce) my grandmother would make every Sunday. Within 30 miles of our house you could get any manner of italian specialty food.

Now that I'm a pennsylvanian, if there's anything I miss it is the easy availability of good italian food. I've found pizza that approximates what is found in NJ, but nothing in town is really like the pizza I grew up eating. I'm not saying that there isn't good pizza in town, but none of it is what I know as pizza.

Well, I have to give credit to the new CDT blog, "Lost and Found in State College", by Michele Marchetti. She just moved to State College from NYC, and has been writing about the transition. It's an interesting read, but more importantly, in the post above she did something in less than a month that I haven't been able to do in six years. She found good NYC / NJ pizza!

I went to Margarita's and got two slices for dinner tonight, and I was in pizza heaven. It is almost exactly like the Finelli's pizza I remember from Cedar Knolls, NJ. I'm done ordering from the impostors, I'm a loyal Margarita's guy from now on.

For anyone who is local, you have to help me -- we must give this place enough business that they stay forever. No more disappearing good restaurants. If you want their number, it is 235-3060.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat D. said...

Funny how this works. I live in Youngstown, which pretty much is *loaded* with Italian restaurants (Chris, you will have to visit to tell me just how good they are) -- but not much of other types of cuisine. As a result, next time I am in SC I need to go to the Indian restaurants first (since Y-town has precisely zero -- hmmm...they need a Mongolian BBQ place and a Tim Horton's as well, but I digress.)
But count me in for good pizza the next time...

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home