3.16.2007

On a Snow Day in Happy Land

I got a lot of grief during my six year stint in CVille for my fondness of both Penn State and State College. For those of you who don't know, our town's nickname is "Happy Valley". Of course, the Big Enchilada would always (purposefully?) call University Park or State College by the name of one of those other school towns (College Park, College Station) or he would refer to it as "Happy Land". To this day, every time I try to think "Happy Valley" it always comes out "Happy Land". Oh well.

Anyway -- it is snowing here today, boys and girls. It is also the last day of Spring Break (anyone sense any irony there?). I had planned to take yesterday and today off from work, but wound up only taking today off. I have not left my pajamas all day (although I did shower). I didn't lounge around, though, my big plan was to get a bunch of chores done. I didn't get everything done (my office is still full of unpacked boxes that have moved from CVille to Pleasant Gap to State College), but I did make a major discovery today -- I can officially replace a light switch.

Many of the light switches in our house have dimmers on them, but dimmers and CF bulbs do not go together. One of the dimmers in the basement also was making a buzzing sound when it was on, which I took to be a sign of its impending failure. So on this pajama / snow day, I busted out my tools and two spare switches and replaced two dimmers, including the bad one. Here's the amazing thing -- they even work!

So in the past year or so, I've changed out a faucet, operated a wet saw without losing any appendages, and I have now successfully done some incredibly minor electrical work without electrocuting myself. This officially serves as me patting myself on the back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home