1.20.2007

On Comcast, part 2

I've been to our local Comcast office twice today.

The first trip was to find out why our bill increased by about 20%. I was told the following. First, I got off easy -- I'm grandfathered in with my cable modem service, so my service only increased 16% instead of the 34% that is the new price for those who weren't grandfathered in.

Then, I asked why the HD/DVR service went from $8 monthly to $17 monthly. The answer? That's how much Comcast charges, and so that's how much it is.

So, we went back later in the afternoon and returned one of our cable boxes (we had one plain old digital cable box and one HD/DVR box) and dropped HBO. So by reducing our service significantly compared to what we had with Adelphia, we managed to bring our monthly bill back to what we were paying a month ago.

During the two times we went to the office, there were easily a dozen other people in line, most of whom were also there to complain.

In the short term, we got our cable bill back down, but in the long term, we are dumping our "Comcastic" service as soon as we have a better alternative. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't have DSL in our neighborhood yet, but I'm going to see if there is any other alternative. Shan and I looked at DirecTV and Dish and it looks like we can save some money over Comcast *and* get back the channels we gave up, but we haven't figured out exactly what we're going to do there yet.

If anyone wants to start a cable company or broadband internet company in State College and offer decent service at a decent price, I'll be your first customer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home