10.16.2006

On location, location, location

I'm on the move again. Since returning to Penn State in 2001, I've been in the fifth floor corner office with two other postdocs (I can't even remember the number off the top of my head -- 508?), down to 403 to share with another instructor, and then a few years ago, up to the "Penthouse Suite" -- 601 Davey. The penthouse is nice -- I have a lot of square footage, but much of that is taken up storing the many materials we have for outreach, so in the end the space I have to actually use is about the same as a normal office. The downside to the penthouse is that I'm the *only* one on the sixth floor (the rest of the floor is the mechanical room for the building -- HVAC, elevators, etc.). I guess they decided that I need to be kept away from the rest of the humans. The upside to the penthouse is the view -- I'm in one of the tallest buildings on campus, and my window faces east campus with the new chem & life sci buildings, the Bryce Jordan Center, and the edge of Beaver Stadium.

Well, probably in a week or two I will be in my fourth office in five years. I'll be on the west side of the building now, so I'll have to get used to looking out the window at nothing but Chandlee. So I lose the view, but gain more frequent interactions with other humans. I'll have to learn how to be social again, I guess. The other good news is that there is a little astronomer's room on the same floor, so I won't have to go down & back up stairs to use the potty anymore. That probably doesn't sound like a big deal to those of you with two working knees, but for me, it means having to pop fewer pain killers. Wahoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home