9.07.2006

On NFL transactions

My PSU fandom does not end when our players graduate. I really hope that all PSU athletes succeed after they leave Penn State. I'm really happy for Larry Johnson and other successful Penn State players in the NFL (Jeff Hartings, Marco Rivera, Kyle Brady, Kenny Watson, David Macklin, Eddie Drummond, Joe Jurevicius, Bobby Engram, Tyoka Jackson...).

On the other hand, every time I hear someone joke around about Penn State running backs in the NFL or see a list of draft busts with Ki-Jana Carter on it, it bugs me. I really want to see Penn Staters make it to the upper echelon of the NFL. It's been a long time since Franco Harris and Jack Ham were tearing up the league.

Anyway... every year around this time, I cruise the NFL rosters to see what Penn Staters are still in the NFL, and also keep my fingers crossed that some of the free agents hanging on by a fingernail will make a roster. It seems like this was a tough year for Nittany Lions in the NFL. The waiver wire included all of the rookie free agents from this year's class, and a few from previous years -- Tyler Reed, Anwar Phillips, Chris Harrell, Scott Paxson, Matt Rice, and Isaac Smolko were all cut. John Bronson, Sean McHugh, Justin Kurpeikis, and surprisingly, Michael Haynes were also cut. Hopefully they'll get another shot somewhere else in the league, but it looks like the end of the line for 10 ex-Nittany Lions.

I can't help but bring up the 1994 undefeated and uncrowned National Championship team. I think I'm probably the only one who realizes this, but from that team Hartings, Rivera, Brady, Collins, and Engram are all still in the league. I wonder if there is even one player from the 1994 Nebraska team still in the NFL, let alone 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home