12.31.2006

On Pottercast & Canon Conundrums

Shannon and I are both Harry Potter fans. She's been listening to PotterCast for many months now, but recently she's gotten me into it. We'll download a few episodes onto my iPod, and when we have long trips to make (say to NJ and back over the holiday), we'll listen to them to make the trip pass more quickly.

I have to say, I *really* like Pottercast. Shan and I aren't into a lot of HP fandom stuff (like fanfic, filks, etc.), but are interested in talking about the books themselves and what is likely to happen in book 7.

So... while we were driving back from NJ, I came up with an idea for a topic for "Canon Conundrums", which is a segment of the show where the PotterCast team discusses puzzles from the books, and they try to come to some consensus about what might happen. This is our favorite segment, so we just emailed our idea and hope to see it discussed on a future episode. Since I'm sure they get many more ideas submitted than they can discuss, I figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else has any comments on this particular conundrum.

In the past few books, Dumbledore's pensieve has been an important tool for Harry to learn about the past. My question is, what happened to Dumbledore's memories when he died? Did they all disappear, or are they still in the pensieve and able to be accessed by Harry? Can he use it to help him in his search for the horcruxes?

I guess we'll find out when the Deathly Hallows comes out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Hmmm ... that is an excellent conundrum. I guess I have always assumed that the memories would be there for Harry to use. Now you have me thinking, did I just assume this, in which case shame on me, or is there canon to back it up.

I can't remember at the moment, but there might have been something about this in the Half Blood Prince. Some of the memories that Dumbledore was showing Harry were from people that I am not entirely certain were still alive. So, if this is true, and if I weren’t at work so I can't look it up, then they should be there.

The funny thing is, all the memories that he showed Harry and have the potential to be from wizards that have now passed, were in bottles. Is this a significant thing or was it simply because it was a single memory as opposed to many? Can memories evaporate?

What an interesting topic you have picked here. Do you have any more?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

My wife got me started listening to Pottercast, and this occurred to me when we were listening to one of the discussions about the horcruxes.

I've been thinking about what Dumbledore's role will be in book 7. I think that this may be one way for Harry to still get some guidance from Dumbledore even though he is gone.

I have to confess to not knowing my canon very well, so I don't know the answer either to whether or not there are examples of Harry and Dumbledore immersing themselves in memories from others who are dead.

I don't have any other conundrums waiting to be posted, but if I do come up with another I'll post it. It is probably the second most popular topic on my blog.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home